Path to Independence
Our Path to Independence Program (P2I) operates with the goal of helping our adults live meaningful and independent lives to their fullest extent. We work with each adult and their support team (parents, guardians, counselor’s etc.) to ensure that there is a firm foundation of support that we can build upon. From the minute that each adult walks into our doors, we begin to provide them with the necessary tools and support for their Path to Independence.
The focus of our program is to create, build, and strengthen their ability to live independently while keeping the following goals in mind:
- Each adult will be able to take care of their basic daily needs, which include but are definitely not limited to: preparing simple meals, grocery shopping, and implementing the necessary safety skill sets in the home and in the community
- Each adult will learn how to get around independently and safely, whether it is via public transportation or other various transportation services
- Each adult will be shown how to have respect for others, thereby enabling them to successfully share living quarters with a roommate
- Each adult will be empowered to have a greater sense of responsibility, thereby enabling them to get and maintain a job and/or access postsecondary education
- Each adult will practice how to establish and maintain meaningful relationships with their peers
- Each adult will be provided the skills necessary to secure employment and meaningful volunteerism
- Each adult will have assistance in securing employment that is appropriate and meaningful for them
Our program operates from Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 2:00 pm. Throughout the week in its entirety, our adults are out in the community shopping for groceries, gaining job experience, volunteering with several business organizations, doing laundry at a laundromat, and are always practicing how to live independently. We provide our adults with the training and supports necessary so that they too can live independently in a way that works for them.
If you have immediate questions regarding Mychal’s Path to Independence Adult Day Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.